October 19, 2006

What would you do?

Late summer.
Telephone conversation with a local businessman. Conversation flows easily, once business has been concluded we engage in a little small talk and he tells me on several occasions what a pleasure it is to speak to me and how much he has enjoyed our conversation.

[I must add this was all said in a total non-slimey-car-salesman kinda way, he seemed quite genuine and he was not trying to either sell me anything or win my business.]

I am somewhat used to reactions like this on the telephone. I am a broadcaster by profession and my accent/voice is regularly complimented on. I enjoy the glow of the mild flirtation and the satisfaction that I've still "got it".

[Booyah!]

Early fall.
I have an appointment with the same local businessman, we have never previously met, but recalling our previous interaction I am curious.

He meets me in the reception area and shakes my hand, standard practice, tells me how good it is to meet me. I am mentally thinking the same, he's an absolute cutie. Advises me he will be with me as soon as he can (I am early for my appointment).

He returns minutes later, shakes my hand a second time, yes, it's still good to meet me...and leaves again.

Moments later for the third time he returns and holds out his hand, I automatically and instinctively take it again...and both of us realise at this point that this is a tad overkill on the hand shaking ritual, but he seems very sweet, attentive and almost fawning.

I am shown into his office and the business at hand is undertaken. At the conclusion of business he engages in a little small talk, nothing earth shattering but we manage to milk it for several more minutes. I notice he doesn't appear to wear a wedding band, but there is a photograph of a small girl on an adjacent credenza. I assume it's his daughter.

He walks me out of his office, across the reception and to the outer door, another hand shake - an "extreme pleasure", blah, blah.

I leave his office feeling almost giddy, I can't decide if it's the attraction or the flirtation that is so intoxicating. Either way I would definitely like to see him again...

In my position what would you do?

a) Oh my god, grow a pair, you are not 16. Call him and ask him out for coffee. It's perfectly OK for women to ask men out nowadays...and they actually like it.

b) Call his office later on the pretense of a lost/forgotten item (umbrella/earring)...and hope he takes the hint to ask you out. The modern day "dropping of the hankie" in hopes that he will retrieve and return it.

c) Do nothing, if he is interested he will call. Men (in their 40's) still want to maintain the traditional roles and may feel emasculated or threatened by a forwardly aggressive female.

d) Run for the hills girl, he is a total wacko with a hand shaking fetish.

Added points for guessing what I did.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Im hoping you did (A) give courage to the rest of us, or rather me, since I think im the only single one left.

Moon said...

I hope u did A, but am thinking u may of done B lol...am I right, huh am I , am I hehe

Anonymous said...

A definitely! Life's too short to prevaricate. :)

Lou Lou said...

a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a
a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a
A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A
A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A

get the hint? he can only say no or YES YES YES which you could be screaming by the end of your date! lol