November 13, 2006

If you really knew me....

OK....I'm still waiting for my friend to email me the photographs from Saturday night, so in the interim, I thought this fit in rather appropriately.

Oprah Winfrey (yes, I do seem to be quoting her a lot lately)...had a show last week that basically had me in tears from beginning to end. It was very touching, heartfelt - and had me wishing that this workshop was available in all schools as part of the curriculum.

Part of the workshop entailed teenagers in a group, finishing the following sentence..."If you really knew me, you'd know that I...." Initially it was all very polite and predictable and uninspiring. I am a member of the band, I am a cheer leader...etc. But then it moved on to more personal relevations that moved everyone. I am my invalid mother's caregiver. I am still grieveing for my father. I am frightened. I am lonely.

So I wondered briefly what some of my "If you only knew me" statements would be.

If you really knew me, you'd know that I....

...hate people who are unreliable and don't follow through.

...hate people who are tardy.

...have trouble trusting people.

...prefer my own company to that of many people I know.

No comments: