November 28, 2006

Passwords up the ying-yang

We have soooo many passwords, p.i.n. numbers, pass codes, security checks and secret handshakes these days - I am amazed that we can still function as a society.

Today I had to add yet another password to my memory banks. We were issued with Tokens (usb port plug in jump key doo-dads) in order to sign into the work stations at the office. My passwords had to be a minimum of 8 characters long, had to contain not only alpha and numeric characters, but also other special characters (#$%@ kinda thing). As if that wasn't hard enough, it couldn't be any of my last 6 passwords. (sigh)

I don't write down passwords, as it seems to me to defeat the purpose of having a password in the first place. It occurred to me however how many passwords I truly have just to get through a normal day.

I wish there was an easier way.

Home phone answering machine.
Cell phone voice mail.
Home computer.
Lap top.
Email accounts (yes, we all have more than one)
Numerous website memberships (including this one), usernames and passwords.
Banking info, debit, credit - banking online? Boy that's one humdinger of a password!
Talking on the phone to your creditor/service provider...in addition to your account number they want your "secret word" to proceed any further.
Heading into work - interac code to pay at the pump for the gas
Passcard to get into the bldg outer door.
Passcard to get through the glass mantrap in the lobby area.
Passcard inside the elevator to get it to stop at my floor.
Passcard to get through the door into my office.
Combination to my work locker.
Password to sign on to my work computer.
Passcode to sign into my phone (I wear a headset and calls come in "live").
Passcode and now a token to sign into my office email and access my company intranet.
...and at the end of the day I hope I can remember my locker combination at the gym .

I am sure I have missed a whole slew somewhere along the lines - but my poor middle aged brain cant remember anymore! LOL

No comments: